To my TRIBE

Hello!
I am lucky to have so many amazing and strong women around me.
 So in honor of international woman's day I decided to honor all strong women who have impacted my life. They are many more and I thank them from the bottom of my heart but I decided to highlight the MVP wonder women of my life.


To my first true BFF, Adriana.

We met when I was 6 at puppet school (yes, that's a thing). She's not just a friend, she's a sister. We have been through it all and the number of inside jokes we have is never ending. We are very different and that's what makes us so special. We never went to the same primary school, high school or college, the only thing that linked us was the puppet school once a week in our early years and look at us now, we celebrated 20 years of friendship last year (yes 20, I know, I'm old). I don't think she actually knows how very strong she is, a true fighter and sometimes she even surprises me. We don't see each other that much but I always know that if I need her she will be there and vice versa.  

 
To my intelligent friend, Neža.

Another very long friendship. She is the niece of another special person in my life. We bonded while building a fort in my garden and we've been tight ever since. One of the most intelligent people I have ever known or as I call her a living lexicon. With her brains she could have studied anything but she decided to go another route - anthropology. Her understanding and interest for other cultures in a time when everybody is so divided is very beautiful.  


To my primary school friend, Kaja.

A friendship I never thought I would have. I was never cool or popular in school but Kaja was, in American therms she would be the cheerleader captain, at least I saw her like that. But somehow we clicked and she always had my back. She was like a bigger sister too me - she was the first person to shape my brows, random story: I was a tom boy and terrified of tweezers. My brows were really bad and one day she decided to help me and she shaped my brows with a razor (don't do this at home guys), I think I still maintain the same shape to this day (haha). She is also the first friend in my closer circle to have a baby, a beautiful boy born in December 2017. What I mostly admire about her is her perseverance and care for friends. Life happens and we get busy and moths go by in a blink of an eye but I always get a message from her.  


To my person, Eva. 

Where to start with Evica or as I used to call her, my muse (she still is). The start of our friendship was a blessing in disguise. We were school mates in high school but not friends. During our second year we went to Vienna with school and somehow Eva's closest friends didn't go, so basically she was alone and had a pretty shitty time. On the bus we started talking and the thing that connected us was our taste in shoes and clothes. We clicked pretty quickly and at the end of the trip we were friends. We even swapped our snickers, I had high top DC snickers (they were purple and green, don't ask) and she had black Adidas all stars (the first time they were a trend). She became my friend when we were becoming women and that's probably another reason why she is so important. Our hours long phone calls where we talk about the past, the present and the future, full of inappropriate jokes, deep conversations and even talking while we pee are pure gold (we are not the only friends who do this, don't lie). And even though with each year we have less and less of this conversations due to work, school, boyfriends and just life it still doesn't change the fact that we a linked for life.


To my college mother, Lara.

Lara was the responsible one in college, that's why we called her mama Lara. From the first day of lectures me, Lara and Franci (my now boyfriend) were always together. What connected us was that we were from the same part of Ljubljana and we started going together to and from school. That transformed into sitting together all the time, being together at all team projects and becoming very good friends. So good that I had the honor of being her maid of honor when she got married.  


To my partner in crime, Tea.

My Tea and my soulmate. This is a very special woman in my life. We've really bonded in the last year and a half. All I can say about her is that she is next level and she truly is going to do big things in her life. Her vision, her smarts and the way she communicates are not skills that you are taught, you're just born with them. We were lucky enough to have the same problem/situation at the same time, we were each others rocks and we helped save each other (dramatic much Sonia, it wasn't that bad). From doing stupid things on the internet to crashing a bachelor party we had the best time.


To my craziest and smartest friend, Ana. 

Ana Banana, crazy AF but I love her so much. Everybody has that one friend that will make every party the best party and that's Ana. When I go out with her I know it's gonna be one of the best nights of my life. Her energy is contagious. But that's not the only thing that defines her. She is studying to be a doctor and she's going to be the best doctor EVER. She is painfully smart and the care and empathy she has for others makes her the perfect recipe for a bad ass doctor. She has a million of hypochondriac friends (me included) and she always listens to us, tries to help us and then sets us straight. Best soon to be MD, thank you!


To my Youtube wifey, Katja. 

Katja is Tea's sister and we started hanging out in the past 2 years. I have never seen a more confident, hard working, disciplined and devoted young woman like her. It blows my mind that at 23 she has her own business, one of the most stable relationships, lives on her own and is just the biggest GIRL BOSS. She is proof that with constant hard work, a dream and a plan you will succeed. She motivates me to not give up on my dreams and for that I am thankful. The youtube and blogger life is hard, amazing, but hard. There is so much time and work that goes into it and you can loose the motivation very fast and having support from someone that's in the same field and truly understands the good and bed of this industry is priceless.


To my niece, Katra 
(she's gonna kill me for writing this). 

Another friendship that happened as a blessing in disguise. I'm not going to explain how we met, it's a complicated story and every time we try to explain it, it confuses everybody. But let's just say Franci, my boyfriend is her uncle, even though she is older (don't ask, it's not important). I had a very hard time last April, it was really bad and I hit a very low point in my life. Katra is one of the people that opened my eyes and showed me a new perspective to life. I never thought I would connect with someone at that time of my life but I did and no matter what happens she will always be my niece (she hates that I call her that, all love Katra, all love).


I have a very small family that's why I give so much importance to my friends, my second family. 

To my mother. 

We don't have the best relationship but her life and choices show how very strong she is. 
Women's day is her favorite "holiday" and every year she says: "Happy woman's day Sonia! To me, to you and to all women. Never forget to fight for our rights." My father left when I was 9 and even when he was here she was the breadwinner. She has taught me the importance of being independent and that women are strong and capable of many things.


To my grandmother, my nona. 

Sadly, my nona passed last year but she lived a long and strong life. She was probably one of the true definitions of wonder woman, she was a partisan and fought for Slovenia. And at home she wore the pants, even though my nono was a General (yes she was a badass). But on the other side she was so loving and the best nona I could have had.


To my aunt, Mirjam.

Mirjam is Neža's aunt and is my mother's friend from college. She has been in my life since I can remember. She's a beautiful woman inside and out and what I mostly love about her is her way of thinking. She always tries to show me the other perspective and most of all the rational one. She is a story teller, she's been through a lot and I love listening to all her experiences from what she lost to what she learned, pure wisdom.

Mirjam isn't a fan of cameras and I don't have a photo with her. But this was Brina, Mirjam's dog who sadly past away last year. She was such a sweet and loving companion. 

And to my boyfriends mother, Minka.

Last but not least is Franci's mother and my second mother. I have to mention her because she has survived so much but still keeps a positive mindset. What I love about her is that she always says: "I love myself the most. I have to! If I won't, who will." Words to live by. The funny thing is that she still gives everything to her family and friends and is always prepared to help.

I don't have a photo with Minka but I guess a photo with her and my favorite human will do. 


THANK YOU ALL, I LOVE YOU!

4 comments